RECIPE: Overnight Oats
Why do I love this recipe?
- Super quick and easy to make (honestly takes me 5 minutes!).
- They are perfect on the go. You can grab them from the fridge when you are running out the door.
- It will get you through breakfast for the whole working week.
- It doesn’t have to taste the same everyday! You can add any fruit and toppings that you like. This means that you can always mix up the flavours and you will never get bored! See below for some of my favourite combinations.
- RICH IN FIBRE: Fibre helps to keep your digestive system healthy, stabilise blood sugar levels and lower cholesterol levels.
- RESISTANT STARCH: When oats are soaked, the amount of resistant starch increases. The body is unable to digest resistant starch in the small intestine. It then moves into the large intestine, where the bacteria feed on the resistant starch to help grow the healthy gut bacteria.
- HEALHY FATS: Chia seeds are a wonderful source of healthy fats. Healthy fats assist in absorbing fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K), reducing inflammation and lowering the risk of heart disease. They are also very filling so will keep you satisfied for longer!
- LOW GLYCAEMIC INDEX (GI): Being low GI, the carbohydrates in this meal are digested very slowly. This means that your blood sugar levels will rise steadily, plateau and fall. Low GI carbohydrates help to sustain the energy that you get from foods and are beneficial for weight control, heart health and insulin resistance.
2 cups of rolled oats
2 cups of milk (dairy, soy, nut)
1/2 cup of natural yoghurt
1/4 cup chia seeds
In a large bowl or container, combine rolled oats and chia seeds.
Add milk and yoghurt to the dry ingredients. Stir through well.
Cover with a lid or cling wrap. Put in the fridge and leave to set for 8-12 hours.
Spoon a serve into a bowl/container. Enjoy with fruit and toppings of your choice.
- Blueberries and buckinis
- Frozen fruit (let the fruit melt a little and then stir it through the oats… AMAZING!)
- Apple and cinnamon
- Mango and coconut